2011 Green Dream Home
"This house is our Prius. It's nice to go down that path and reduce our footprint." — Dung Truong, Homeowner
Named the state's first "Green Dream Home" by Xcel Energy and the Builders Association, this residence combines traditional architecture with cutting-edge green technology and Apple iPhone home automation. Utility bills average $45/month annually (really, we've been monitoring for 24 months) owing to an integrated system of solar panels, geothermal heating/cooling, spray foam insulation and energy efficient appliances. Nestled within the home's crisp white gables is 4,200 square feet of open living space. Enameled cabinetry and millwork (all from FSC certified wood) provide abundant storage. Calacatta marble counters, hand-printed wall-coverings, ebony-stained bamboo flooring and handmade Motawi tile finishes speak of impeccable quality and timeless aesthetics. This truly is a "green dream home."
- Build: Rocky DiGiacomo, DiGiacomo Homes & Renovation
- Interior Design: Gigi DiGiacomo, DiGiacomo Homes & Renovation
- Architectural Design: Ryan Fish, AIA
- Awards: 2012 Home of the Month, AIA — Minneapolis Star & Tribune; 2011 Green Dream Home, Builders Association of the Twin Cities
- Press: "House of Green Gables," Lynn Underwood, Minneapolis Star & Tribune, December 2, 2012; "The Future of Tradition: A New Golden Valley Home Brings Cutting-Edge Energy Solutions to a Time-Honored Architectural Style," Architecture Minnesota, May/June 2012; "Join the Parade: Golden Valley Green," Jennifer Blaise Kramer, Minneapolis-St. Paul Magazine Home, March 2011; "A New Style of Green," Minneapolis Star & Tribune, February 27, 2011; Video Tour (mp4) Video Tour (flv) Video Tour (mobile) Fox 9 News, March 2011.